This salad is primarily made with roquefort cheese, thus the name, which is made from ewe's-milk and comes from the south of France.
Together with Bleu d'Auvergne, Stilton and Gorgonzola, this cheese is rated as one of the world's greatest blue cheeses.
We now know why this recipe has had so many 5-star reviews.
It's simply divine, and one of the best salads we've rnjoyed in quite some time!
You get layer upon layer of fresh and bright flavor, every single ingredient complements the other (without one dominating), the dressing on its own is awesome, and the crispy, smoky bacon takes it over the top.
The next time this salad makes a repeat performance, we'll add grilled, then chilled shrimp, perfect for a summer main course salad.
The combination of creaminess (cheese), sweetness (pears), crunchiness (bacon) and the tangy dressing really delivers.
This classic salad will serve 4 as an entree.
4 c. apple cider.
1 s. baguette cut diagonally, into 12, 1/2- inch slices.
8 Tbs. butter, melted.
Juice of 1 lemon.
8 med. shallots, peeled, cut into quarters.
2 tsp. sugar.
1 tsp. coarse sea salt.
Freshly ground black pepper.
6 bacon strips, cut into 1" squares.
2 bunches watercress, stems removed, washed and dried.
1/2 lb. Roquefort cheese.
1. Bring cider to a boil and cook until reduced to about 1 c. (about 30 minutes).
Remove from heat and keep warm.
2. Heat oven to 400°.
Using 4 Tbs. of the butter, spread it on baguettes and toast until golden brown.
3. Cut pears in half; remove seeds with a small melon baller or teaspoon.
4. Place the pears in a bowl and toss with the lemon juice.
Add shallots to the bowl.
Drizzle with remaining butter.
5. Mix together the sugar, salt and pepper, then sprinkle on pears and shallots and mix well.
6. Place pear/shallot mixture in a roasting pan, making sure all pears are cut side down.
Roast 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
7. While pears are roasting, sauté bacon over medium high heat, about 3 minutes.
Drain on paper towels.
8. Remove pears and shallots and keep warm.
Mix the pan drippings with the reduced cider for the dressing.
Divide watercress among the plates.
Top with warm pear mixture, and sprinkle on the bacon.
Drizzle with the apple cider mixture.
Place a few pieces of cheese and several croutons on each plate and serve.Tweet
*** Our Featured Adverts ***