Apples add a hint of sweetness to this velvety smooth, pumpkin soup.
Try it as a delightful first course for a special meal.
Or for dinner with grilled sharp Cheddar or Swiss cheese sandwiches.
This is an awesome soup with a hint of sweetness.
The kids lapped it up.
The hazelnuts are a must, as they finish the flavor and texture very well.
12 servings, of about 1 cup each
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
* 4 lbs. pie pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 2-inch chunks (see Tip)
* 4 large sweet-tart apples, such as Empire, Cameo or Braeburn.
Un-peeled, cored and cut into eighths
* 1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 1/4 tsp. sea salt, divided
* 1/4 tsp. fresh ground, black pepper
* 1 Tbs. chopped, fresh sage
* 6 c. reduced-sodium chicken broth or if you prefer, vegetable broth
* 1/3 c. chopped hazelnuts, toasted (see Tip)
* 2 Tbs. hazelnut oil
1. Preheat your oven to 450°F.
2. Toss the pumpkin (or squash), apples, olive oil, 1 teaspoon sea salt and black pepper in a large bowl.
Spread evenly on a large rimmed baking sheet.
Roast, stirring once, for 30 minutes.
Stir in sage and continue roasting until very tender and starting to brown, 15 to 20 minutes more.
3. Transfer about one-third of the pumpkin (or squash) and apples to a blender along with 2 cups broth.
Puree until smooth.
Transfer to a Dutch oven and repeat for two more batches.
Season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon sea salt.
And heat the Apple-Pumpkin soup through.
Over medium-low heat, stirring constantly to prevent splattering, for about 6 minutes.
Serve each Apple-Pumpkin soup portion topped with hazelnuts. And a drizzle of hazelnut oil.
Tips & Notes
* Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Reheat in the microwave on high, covered, stirring frequently.
Or on the stove-top over medium heat.
Make it easier to cut a pumpkin, acorn squash or other winter squash.
Pierce gourd in several places with a fork; microwave on High for 45 to 60 seconds.
Use a large sharp knife to cut in half.
Remove the seeds and stringy fibers with a spoon.
* To toast chopped nuts, small nuts and seeds.
Place in a small dry skillet.
And cook over medium-low heat.
Stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
9 g. Fat (1 g. Saturated, 7 g. Monosaturated),
0 mg. Cholesterol,
25 g. Carbohydrates,
3 g. Protein,
6 g. Fiber,
525 mg. Sodium,
569 mg. Potassium.
Vitamin-A (290% daily value), Vitamin-C (40% dv), Potassium (16% dv).Tweet
*** Our Featured Sponsors ***
This legendary true formula of the real deal,
is the first of it's kind in the world.
Now, for the first time ever,
being offered outside of the villages
located deep within the Amazon