The wonderful flavors of a tropical drink, tequila, orange, kiwis, mangoes and lime, are blended in a tossed salad of fresh grilled shrimp.
This fresh salad is anything but ordinary.
The irresistible combination of the season's freshest veggies and fruits come together with a tangy vinaigrette for the perfect warm-weather supper.
This is a terrific salad.
In the summer, and on dinner occasions, we like to add fresh, grilled corn-on-the-cob with a Caesar salad.
It's one of those super refreshing meals for a hot day or evening, plus it's sophisticated enough for those special, small luncheon parties.
It can make a great appetizer, or can also double as the perfect light dinner entree.
The shrimp can be marinated up to 3 hours before grilling.
Yield: 4 Servings
3 navel oranges, divided
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 head green leaf lettuce, cleaned and torn into bite-size pieces
1/4 cup tequila
1/4 cup olive oil
3 dozen large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1. Juice one of the navel oranges and cut the other two oranges into segments by slicing off the peel and pith, then cutting between each membrane to remove the sliver of orange.
Reserve these slivers, or segments in a small bowl.
2. Juice the two limes and add the orange juice, garlic, and tequila to the lime juice in a large bowl.
Add the shrimp and marinate, fully submerged at room temperature, for 30 minutes.
3. While the shrimp marinate, soak ten bamboo skewers in water and preheat a gas or charcoal grill for direct heat cooking.
4. Peel and dice the mango and kiwi, and toss with the orange segments.
Toss with the lettuce and set aside.
5. Drain the shrimp, reserving the marinade, and spear onto the bamboo skewers.
Grill until just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
6. Simmer the reserved marinade until reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
Whisk the marinade with the olive oil to make salad dressing.
Toss with the reserved lettuce and fruit.
7. Divide the salad between four salad bowls or plates and top each with a few shrimp skewers, or allow dinner guests to make their own salad and skewer combo.
We hope you find this margarita salad as refreshing and enjoyable as we do!Tweet
*** Our Featured Adverts ***