Fig-leaves ~ Super Food Remedies
Fig leaves are best known for treating diabetes, but there are many other uses for the fig leaves.
There are many homemade remedies from treating diabetes to treating bronchitis, genital warts, liver cirrhosis, high blood pressure, skin problems and ulcers.
Fig leaves are not used as much as they should be.
Most of the remedies for the fig leaves, use the sap or the milk of this sacred tree.
Fig tinctures or poultices should be used immediately and fresh batches made daily.
The big news with the use of fig-leaves is that they have anti-diabetic properties.
The diabetic needs less insulin when on a treatment of using the fig-leaf extract.
The diabetic should take the extract with breakfast, first thing in the morning.
An additional remedy is to boil the leaves of the fig in some freshly filtered water and drink this as a tea.
Figs & Health:
According to the USDA, figs are one of the highest sources of fiber and calcium.
Figs have antioxidants and a laxative effect on the body.
Figs contain fiber, magnesium, copper, manganese, calcium and vitamins-A,B,C and K.
Besides these vitamins, the figs also contain folic acid, sodium and zinc.
Benefits of Figs:
- Figs are rich in potassium and fiber, helping to stabilize the blood pressure of the body.
Figs contain anti-diabetic and anti-tumor properties.
They have calcium, potassium, and soluble fiber, which aids in the reduction of cholesterol.
- Figs promote good sleeping habits and protect the person against insomnia.
They increase your energy, promote stronger bones, and are helpful in treating constipation, due to their laxative effect.
If the fig-leaves are mashed, they can be used as a skin cleanser for acne and pimples.
- Figs lessen the acids in the stomach and therefore are great for pregnant women.
Figs also increase sexual desire and promote overall longevity and good health.
There are many varieties of
and here are a few:
Calimyrna fig ~ has a nut like flavor and a golden skin.
Mission fig ~ is a dark purple and eventually will turn black when sun dried.
Kadota fig ~ is the American type fig, which is nearly seedless and most often dried and canned.
Brown Turkey fig ~ is seen most of the time in the fresh fruit markets.
This fig is copper colored, with small streaks of purple and a white flesh.
Home Remedies using Fig-leaves:
- Bronchitis - Place two to three fig-leaves in a half liter of water with some *"Piloncillo" and bring to boil.
Let the water boil for 15 minutes and then remove the leaves and drink the tea.
- Cardiovascular and Cancer patients: Try drinking some freshly made fig leaf tea.
Also, eat some fresh figs daily.
- Genital warts - Take one of the fig-leaves and apply the milk or sap from the leaf to the affected areas.
- Hemorrhoid - Place two or three of the leaves in one liter of water and bring to boil.
Boil for at least 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and let the pot cool.
Remove the leaves from the tea and use as a sitz bath or apply to the affected areas.
- Liver cirrhosis - Take 4 leaves, wash them thoroughly and pound them with any type of sugar candy.
Fill a medium glass with water and drink this twice a day.
- Lower blood pressure - Place 3 fig leaves in a half liter of water.
Boil for 15 minutes and drink daily.
- Ringworm - Cut open a fig-leaf and take the milk or sap.
Rub on the ringworm.
This procedure works immediately.
- Scalp fungal infections, warts and boils - Follow the above directions.
- Shingles: Place three to four fig-leaves in 2 c. of water.
Boil for a few minutes, let cool and remove the fig-leaves.
Take a wash cloth and dip in the water and apply to the affected area.
- Ulcers - Every day chew two fig-leaves and swallow the whole leaf.
People with advanced ulcers should do this in the morning on an empty stomach.
Homemade Fig Bars
Here, naturally sweet dried figs are wrapped in a tender crust for a store-bought look-alike, that's a really healthy treat.
* 18 dried figs, stems removed (about 10 oz.)
* 3/4 c. raisins
* 1 1/2 c. water
* 4 Tbs. water
* 1/3 c. granulated sugar
* 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
* 1 1/4 c. whole grain pastry flour
* 1 c. oat bran
* 1/4 c. packed brown sugar
* 1/4 tsp. sea salt
* 1/2 c. unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Grease baking sheets.
2. Coarsely chop the figs and place in a food processor.
Add the raisins and pulse until fairly smooth.
Place in a medium saucepan.
Add the 11/2 c. water, granulated sugar, and cardamom.
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until the mixture thickens.
Remove from the heat.
3. In a food processor, combine the flour, oat bran, brown sugar, and salt.
Add the butter.
Process until well-combined.
Slowly add the remaining water, 1 Tbs. at a time, until the mixture forms a ball.
4. Turn the mixture onto a floured surface.
Divide in half.
Using a rolling pin, roll into 2 rectangles, each 3" wide and 24" long.
Spoon half of the fig mixture down the center of each rectangle.
Carefully fold the sides over the fig mixture, pinching the edges together in the center.
Cut into 11/2"-long pieces.
Place on the prepared baking sheets.
5. Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Cool on a rack for 2 minutes.
Remove to the rack to cool completely.
Fat 4 g.
Saturated Fat 2.3 g.
Cholesterol 9.3 mg.
Sodium 26.1 mg.
Carbohydrates 22.1 g.
Total Sugars 13.4 g.
Dietary Fiber 2.4 g.
Protein 1.8 g.
*Piloncillo Definition: Piloncillo is made from pure, unrefined sugar that is pressed into a cone shape.
It tastes very similar to brown sugar with a molasses flavor (even though it does not contain molasses) and you can use it
for anything that calls for brown sugar.
It's name means "little pylon" because of it's shape.
The smaller cones are usually around 1 oz. and the larger ones around 8 oz.
They come in light, "blanco" and dark "oscura.
Visit Natures-Health-Foods.com's profile on Pinterest.
Natures Super Store
Super Food Remedies ~ Return
*** Our Featured Sponsors ***
This is the true Elixa-da-Vida
~ Very Powerful Amazon Native Organic Herbs ~